Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Labor Day Weekend Fun

There were so many different titles that could have highlighted our weekend, like winner winner chicken dinner, family time, or caving. But I decided to go with the old tried and true title that was an umbrella to it all. This is going to be a larger post as I want to do all three days at one time.

First off I can't believe it has been over two weeks since my last post. I know you guys are not but I thought I was getting better at this.

Saturday: Wiffle Ball Tournament and Jones Family

We signed up to bring a team to our church picnic. What a fun time. There was The Teeters: Adam, Erin, and Dawson (Layla on the side lines), the Armstrongs: Steven, Karen (Brooklyn on the side lines), Tracy Blackburn (Mike recovering from surgery didn't come and Ashton on another team), Bucky Galloway, and the Wilkins: Jacob, Christie, (Owen on another team and Byron and Ella on the side lines). the Murphys were all there kids with toys and pac'n'plays ready to make a day of it.
I have not had so much fun playing sports in so long. This old baby mama has been on the side lines a while. We had such a blast running and fielding the ball. Our team name "Chicken Dinner"
That's right! As in Winner winner chicken dinner! :)
Tracy and I were talking before people showed up that if no one did show up that means we win right? And she proceeds to do this cheer and dance. Too funny. Well, after three games we did win. There was a four team bracket and we won all three games we played. 
Cannot tell you how sore Matt was after all the falling, swinging, rolling, sliding and splits that he did giving the game his all. Great bonding time for our team. It was so funny at church Sunday how everyone was asking if the other person was as sore as they were. It was nice to see the younger people aching like us older ones did. My sore spots were minor, but I didn't do all the cool action moves Matt did either. 
We played from 10a-2:30p the kids were pretty tired of being there at the ball field, Corbin tried ball and did great but totally board after his first hit. He wouldn't even run through the bases, just gave up after standing on first. Glad we didn't sign up for ball. Going to check into soccer.
So we leave around 3 and my family is coming over at 5p. I still had to go to the grocery and do a few things first. Oops running behind on things this weekend. The running joke was all weekend that I needed to mop my kitchen floor. It needs it so bad after all the canning I have been doing. But somehow it still is not done.

Adam had called in the week to see about hanging out. We don't hang out near often enough. So invited the fam over for dinner. Chilli Dogs, roasted potatoes, salad and chips hit the spot after such a hard day at play. Funny how our immediate family has 12 people! Just wait till all the girls get married!
What a great Saturday.

Sunday: Church and the Murphys
This day was more on the low down and a good thing, Matt can barely move. I had rubbed his back with Muscle rub sat night and our room smelled of menthol. It was funny to watch Matt hobble around today. 
Church was great! Talking about being Saboteurs -freedom fighters and merci-naries for Jesus. We were challenged to bring mercy to someone who needs it in our worlds of influence this week. I know who God wants me to help, but don't know how yet.
I invited Matt's parents over for dinner. We had a great time I made Italian wraps, Roasted potatoes (left over) and homemade Ice Cream (strawberry).  We played this new game Phase 10 with dice. Great times! I love games and anytime I can get the Murphys to play it is a success.
Another night to rub down Matt's back. Menthol

Monday: Squire Boone Caverns and Party with the Neighbors

I have pictures of our day at the caves. The kids had gotten free passes to go to Squire Boone Caverns and I hadn't been since I was a kid. Matt had never been. So off we went for our family day of fun.
Let me tell you camera in hand on our "field trip" I have never felt so much like my mother.

Corbin couldn't get over the fact that we were going to a real cave. Would there be bats? Oh, goodness I secretly hoped there wouldn't be.

Matt was strapping the carrier on when he asked who had used it last (obviously being too tight for him). Our friends Jason and Rachelle had borrowed it. "Well, Jason is a skinny fella." "Honey, you are quite thick." ha ha The lady next to us couldn't contain her laughter and neither could I.
Stalactites
This one is called bacon

Yes, I took this photo. beautiful pic of the caves and the lights.
Stalagmites
Aiden almost hit the sides a few times. He didn't really like the cave. The kids kept walking on the edge. Goodness, you couldn't take your eyes off of them for a minute.

The last six min of the trip was cut short as they were doing some construction on the cave path. A few of the places I remembered as a kid we did not get to see.


The lights in the cave are so beautiful.

Smile big for the camera...put your arm around each other...."again, my mother coming out". Corbin thought it great fun to make this grumpy face rather than please his mother.

The grist mill was so pretty. It was rainy



My little girl was oh so willing to let me take her pics today.

My precious girl
She decided that she just had to touch the water.
She couldn't quite reach.
Ok, this may be a mistake, but the joy on his face when we let him buy this slingshot was great. Tonight before bed he was playing with it and stretching it behind his head. It snapped when he let go and the wooden part hit the back of his head so hard that the deer head fell off. He cried, poor baby.




We would always get our family photo here in front of the wagon growing up and guess what? The wagon is still here. Of course we had to carry on the tradition. Matt said, "just like when we take our pic in front of the Smokey Mountain sign every time?" Yea, yea! I say excitedly - just like my mom.

There was this scavenger hunt we did through the village. At every shop you found the answer to the question and at the end they gave the kids rock candy. The lady gave the kids two six pack bags. They were tickled to death.


Later that day I needed to mop the kitchen before our neighbors came over for a cookout. The mopping didn't happen. We have been meaning to have Chris and Dawn over for the longest time. So, today was the day. (We have lived here 5 years now) Good times. We made steaks with mushroom sauce and homemade peach ice cream. They brought salad and scalloped potatoes. Yummy weekend

We had a great holiday weekend! Corbin doesn't want to go to school and Matt doesn't want to go to work. At least I can take today a little slower. Our quote...."Good times, good times".

4 comments:

ginmommy said...

How I miss you Melanie! What a great post, I love it :)

Jami said...

You guys do such fun things. YOu do have a big family, I bet that's fun.

Jill said...

I love that you entertained and never mopped your floor. I wish I could let things go like that. . .that is what hospitality is really about.

And I feel like I'm just like my mom a lot nowadays! ;)

Tracey said...

I'm sorry we had to miss the caves. :( Looks like a blast! Really great pics of the kids! And cute family pics too. :)