Monday, September 17, 2012

5K Adventure Run

So, this post has been sitting here waiting for Matthew to write. I loaded the photos and tried to get Matt to make an entry this time. I guess I will go on without him.

Matt casually asked if we were busy Aug. 11th that he and JR were going to do a race. In my mind I was thinking of the bike race that we did a long time ago. As the day gets nearer I find out it is a running race. I laughed right away, because Matt has never said anything about liking to run. And then the details come out.
JR and his brother Matt had discovered these Adventure runs that pop up around the state and tried a few and wanted Matt to do this one with them. Crawling in the mud and running from obstacle to obstacle sounded like a good time so Matt agreed. This was something I wanted to see.

Here are the three amigos


I had asked Matt a week or two before if he was going to do any running to prepare for this adventure but he said that he would be ready. (no training had happened before the race)
Another funny point was that before the race we were to go to the Ramseys for dinner with the fam. I wanted to go with them and watch and so did Kim. When we talked about what to eat I had asked about the things they should have before they run and Matt said the run was just for fun and we are eating steak. "OK" with big eyes, I agreed. I just couldn't picture what was going to happen. I trusted him and thought he was approaching this in a numerous way.

The guys signed up for the 7:30p heat. There were several groups and sets running and the course was pretty long.
The race was at the old speedway in Charlestown. They made each person in the car arriving sign a waiver stating that any persons that enter the property was responsible for any risk involved. ha

There was not a very large crowd I thought.

The far tree line is where the runners all began. We could see some runners coming in from the previous heat and the muscled military heat runners were coming in around 24 min.

The sun was beating down at the beginning. This was the best heat to be running in as the sun was not hot anymore and it was still daylight for the run.

Charge! They all begin the run

Kim and Baby Porter and I enjoyed watching all the excitement around us.

This is looking back at the stadium. We could walk to the end here and see all of the other parts to the race.

Here comes Matthew. The boys had agreed to stay together. Murphy lead our little band of three. You can see behind him the cargo trailer they had to climb over. JR was in a lot of pain from this point of the race on. He had injured his foot and it was hurting pretty badly.

Here is one of the crawling points.


This course just wound all around the speedway.

Now they get to the mud pit. The guys were saying this was a pretty gross part of the race. Looks like it would be in a cow field they said.




Matt and Matt trucking on.




You can see the timer here.


So Matt Murphy and Matt Ramsey finished pretty close and near the end JR was a little behind. His shoes also had problems staying on. So these guys finished around 36min.



What a muddy dirty race. I had failed to get an after shot when they got off the track and they had already hosed off.

but here is what most people looked like at the end of the race.
Matt love it and would love to do a another adventure run. I am so proud of him. He did fantastic.
My fit 37 year old man

2 comments:

ginmommy said...

I love it Mel! Matt cracks me up!!

Jami said...

That's hilarous that he just up and ran a race, no training. You guys weren't too far from my mom's house. She lives on Hwy 3, a couples miles before the old Speedway.