Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Lorikeets are our favorite

We went to the zoo June 1st. The Mom's HATS group planned a day to go all together. We woke up to an overcast chilly morning and was worried we wouldn't be able to go, but it turned out to be the best day of the summer. Yes, we are in jackets. That's how cool it was that day. The animals were in rare form and showed us what fun it can be on such a cool day. We were happy that it didn't rain, but Corbin may have traded all that in to be able to get in the water. Obviously it was too cold to get in the splash area. (one of Corbin's favorite parts)


The giraffe was super fascinating to me today. I just couldn't get over their funny shape and how tall they are. I know ... I know they have always been tall. But really my head can fit under their belly easy.

There were lots of things the animals don't normally do when we have gone before that they were doing today. The giraffes were wading in the water.

The lions were practicing some mating poses and

roaring super loud. They even climbed down the ravine that separates us from them. (that made some of the moms super worried, but I think they would have chosen the zebras next door before us)

The zebras were running and jumping around. "Krackalackin, you like to run too?!"

Lizzy went with me to help insure that we made it out alive with all three of the children we took in.

hee hee. Matt tells this joke. One of those old men jokes that they retell thinking they are oh so funny. "Do you know why the gorilla has such large nostrils? Because he has such big fingers?" ha ha

There were some real gorillas there

And some really funny looking gorillas

I think you will start seeing more pink gorillas in the future.

They have built a new glacier bay, which houses the fun brown bears (3 playful boys), the polar bear and the seals. Well I heard that during the construction the large polar bear that had been at the zoo forever had passed away and they had gotten a young replacement. The young bear was pretty small I thought.

I think Addie was thinking how lucky she was that she was not made to take a nap today and that the bear got to take the nap for the both of them.

Surprisingly I got a great shot of each of the kids.




But by far our favorite part was the Lorikeet Landing. I love these shots of Corbin and the birds.



His face tells me that he is not quite sure if he should be freaked out by all the birds landing on him or thrilled that they actually want the nectar. The lady who told us how to behave in the bird cage said that  there had been over 4,000 students through there over the last month with field trips form school and that the birds may be hesitant to land. But I think they were all to ready to get a snack.


I was all too happy to shoot some pics of this fun event instead of getting pooped on. Liz did get some goo on her leg. One bird landed on Aidens head. He just stared at me wondering what was going on.



So I am not like a normal parent that thinks "oh, we will come back and do that next time." No, if there is fun to be had lets squeeze all of it in. They were going to have this seal show near the end of our scheduled time to leave, but I thought how cool. Let's see a show. We hadn't seen any presentations or talks all day. So we plan how we were going to do the birds and stuff and come back for the show. Well the show was not worth our planning and plotting. It only lasted 15minutes.  Oh well.


 Of course everyone has to have their picture with the golden lizard


In our family we always joke how the orangutan loves others of his kind. Whenever Rebekah comes to the zoo the monkey swings right up to her. And here as well the is a magnet to the kid with the red hair.


We had an awesome time at the zoo. So much fun with all of the kids. Here is proof Matt that we did bring all of the children home that we took in. Didn't take any pics of the group we were with. I guess we were too fascinated by all the fun animals we saw

1 comment:

ginmommy said...

I love going to the zoo when it's cool, the animals are so much more active! Good post! :)