Thursday, August 9, 2012

In Every Season Turn ....Turn....Turn

Matt probably asked me three different times today how I felt about getting up early, making breakfast for our new student, and packing lunches. He asked how I felt about Corbin being gone all day and how I would have to be there for him when the bus came. How do you feel about all this change. This new chapter of your life. "our life" I replied.

Yes Matt is right we are now parents of a student a child in school. We are responsible for Corbin in a completely new way. He is growing from infant to toddler to preschooler and now to student! 

So the big question. How do I feel? I think I still feel in shock. I texted my friend Rachelle and said how I hadn't cried yet today that I was in shock. It's true. I thought how am I going to respond to the bus coming up the road for my kid, and letting him climb on the bus and watching it go away. All of those things happened right before my eyes in such a flash I couldn't believe it was happening. 

No time for the warm loving embrace. Not that Corbin would have complied to such a mushy display.


Here we are....Corbin not able to quite smiling and me very anxious

Matt is still learning how to take photos. :)

Matt decides 2 minutes before the bus comes to give Corbin a pep talk about who is in charge of him and how he should be good. Luckily Corbin and I have been discussing this for a couple of weeks.


We went two weeks ago and meet his teacher (who was going out of town on vacation with her husband, who had won a trip from work). She is wonderful. I am very relaxed now that I have met her. At every question she would say "well, I'll be at the bus stop on bus duty, and I'll be in the lunch room on lunch duty." while the parent in me was relieved at the transition times for Corbin, the teacher in me was feeling sorry for this poor woman who would be with all the children all day and what seemed like little to no brakes from the children. She may get a little annoyed with my son after all day and no brakes.
But anyway we had taken his supplies to school and forgot his backpack there, no worries nothing to take in the first day except his lunch.
The mom in me worried that he would get his lunch taken on the bus or would forget it on the bus. Should I follow the school bus there to make sure he arrives safely and gets in class with his lunch? Did I mention I am anxious about this day?

The bus comes

and just like that Corbin is gone.


I am very thankful that he is not the boy who clings to his mother and cries to go to school. He was very confident to go and I am happy for that.

The other children in my home had a great day. This is Adaline with no boy to chase her around the house. I think she changed clothes five times before we left for the grocery.

Here she is shaking her shoulder and batting her eyes.

She says she is a pretty princess and I quite agree


I couldn't get enough of my pretty girl today. I made sure to give Addie some extra hugging time and held her on my lap for awhile.


I am not putting Addie in preschool this year. She will be at home with me another year.

3:15pm came soon enough. Well, that is the normal time for drop off. He didn't get home till about 3:45
It had thunder stormed and rained pretty hard around 3. Which may have been the reason for the delay. I came to meet him with the umbrella. (or sumbrella as Addie calls it)
 Corbin had a fabulous day! Which relieved me. Mrs. Mathes had called in the middle of the day to confirm that he was a bus rider home today. She said everything was going okay.
In Corbins planner home he had a note that he had been moved to yellow today and earned his way back to green. When I asked Corbin about this he said that he had yelled during class time. Eveyone has to learn the new rules. I'm glad he likes his school.
He wanted to eat his lunch after he got home. He said he wasn't fast enough to eat it during lunch. But maybe a small bowl of yogurt, a pb&j, celery sticks and pretzels were a bit too much to eat at school.

 I don't have any baby pics to compare my little man to on this computer. I'll have to dig up some to show how very much he has changed. My little guy is growing up so. I enjoy his happy heart and tenderness to new things. I love you Corbin

3 comments:

Tracey said...

What a sweet post!! I thought about you last night and wondered how Corbin's first day went. :) I can't believe all these babies are growing up. Proud of you, Momma!!

ginmommy said...

Great post, Melanie! Can you believe it's time to let go?? It's so difficult, isn't it? But you did great and from the looks of it, so did Corbin! :)

Jaime Mac said...

Hi Melanie! I really enjoyed this post! I'm SO glad Corbin had a good day & I loved Matt's advice to him right before getting on the bus! :)
I know you love being a stay at home mom & it shows!!!