Saturday, August 8, 2009

Torture Chamber.... I mean the dentist

Well, I have never be a fan of the dentist. Don't get me wrong I love my dentist he is great. but it is the treatment and the bad news I usually get that makes me cringe when I go. I have always been the one with bad teeth. Adam (my younger brother of 2 years) never had any cavities, but I always did. We had the same eating habits and brushing habits and I would still have the cavity. In fact, the first time I had a cavity it took several dentist before we had the cavity filled. You see in order to fill a cavity you have to get the cavity out by drilling in the tooth. Which means that you have to get a shot in your gums to numb the area. If any of you know me well you know how much I fear needles on/in my body. So they tried, but I wouldn't let any form of needle near my mouth. They tried the laughing gas and I was so terrified of the dentist it didn't work. Finally, the last dentist said you know if you don't let me fix your tooth you will have to see Dr. Miller and he will hold you down in a padded room and make you get your tooth fixed. He scared me but not enough to let him fix it. This all happened when I was seven. Sure enough we went to Dr. Miller. He had this nice children's dentistry office. Everything looked so fun. He was super nice. Well, I wouldn't let him get close to me. Come to find out later I was in a sound proof room in the back of the office. This way screaming wouldn't scare the other children. When I opened my mouth to scream he put this tool in my mouth that prevented me from closing my mouth. Thus, the nurses held me down and he fixed my tooth. ...
Today I see Dr. Jacobi. He is fabulous. I had a routine cleaning this week. He told me how I am in the high risk bracket for tooth decay. Thanks dad. You gave me great genes. So he gave me a special tooth paste for morning and another for night. He acted like I never even brush my teeth. Anyway, I have to be super careful with my teeth for the rest of my life.
I told Matt later that I'd rather just go ahead and get them taken out, rather than continue to hear bad things every time I go.
I pray my children take after Matt. He has great teeth.

2 comments:

ginmommy said...

This really made me laugh out!! Sorry "your at hight risk for tooth decay" GEEZ!!! Maybe dentures are in your future ;)

Andy and Jenn said...

I am so glad you blog! This is SO fun :) I can totally picture poor little Melanie screaming at the top of her lungs! Poor you, and your mom.