Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Generations

Can you believe so many beautiful women can be in this picture?
This photo was taken about a month ago so Adaline has just turned five months.
Adaline Lynn Murphy got her name from my Grandma Jones (Antionette Adaline Schmidt Jones) Addie looks so much like my baby pictures. She is such a moose weighing in above 20 pounds. I mean look at those legs. I can't even put my hand around even the smallest part of her leg.
Of course you know which one I am. Melanie Lynn Murphy got her name from Gone With the Wind. Which happens to be my favorite movie of all time. Also not that my daughter has my middle name. I am trying to loose my moose weight :). Lost three pounds already. Yea
My mother Diana Lynn Jones. Note I have my mothers middle name. My mother is such a small lady. She has always been small. I love the spiritual heritage that my mother has given us. She was the one who took Adam and I to church while we were in preschool. It is her prayers and example that have lead my dad and myself to the Lord. she is an awsome soldier for the Lord.
My grandmother Pauline Giles Smith. Back in her generation they did not often have middle names for the girls. They would use their maiden name for their middle name after they married. Grandma constantly surprises me with her knowledge. She grew up as the oldest on the farm. She knows all kinds of things about country cooking and canning. She knows about farming both with livestock and gardening, but she hated that life. She married a preacher and factory worker in the city and married to get away from the farm. She never does any of those things she did on the farm ever. So when we are talking about things and she says "oh, yeah we did.... or yeah you need to....to get that to cook right." it takes me aback because I forget she know those things. I love my family and the heritage that God has given me. I know God honors his promises and blesses those that pray and follow him.

I knew all four of my great grandmothers. I remember distinct characteristics about each one. Addie will know two. I hope she is able to make connections and build relationships with her grandmothers they way I did.

3 comments:

Tracey said...

Great picture! You are right...you have a wonderful heritage and the memories that you have of your grandparents will be just as special as the memories that Corbin and Addie have of theirs!

Michelle said...

That was beautiful Melanie... I enjoy reading about you and your family! Great picture!

The Utz Family said...

That is a great pic! What wonderful memories you are making for your children!