Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Blood is Our Lifeline




Saturday morning I woke up feeling refreshed and so good. I thought I was ready to start the day and called the nurse to see about taking a shower and then I sat up.....
Oh that was bad. I physically crashed, my peripheral vision was blurry I was very dizzy and wanted to pass out. My blood count was very low. There was such an issue with them trying to take the blood so they could check my blood count. In fact the nurse had come in Friday night with an ultrasound machine to try and find my veins to draw the blood. My right arm has no veins to stick. They are very thin and very far under the surface of the skin. No wonder I had needles. No one can get a successful stick. Only my left arm cooperates. So thankful they did not take out that IV line. Dr. came in for his morning rounds and confirmed that I needed blood. 2 liters and a transfusion seems so scary but that is what I needed.
Blood = Life  This puts me in mind of the blood of Christ
We can only have life eternal with accepting how Christ sacrificed and gave his blood for our sins by asking for forgiveness.

It took 5 hours!!! to get that much blood through my IV. But my reward at the end was to get to be wheeled by wheel chair to the nursery to see and hold Blake. Wow! He is so heavy on my sore belly.

Going through labor your body automatically generates extra blood because you loose about 1 unit during delivery, but since I was hemorrhaging blood the entire time I had the placenta still attached I had lost too much. They had tried to get my body back to health by giving me all the extra fluids over night but that was not going to be enough to help my body regenerate all I had lost. During the day I thought about the pioneer women and others who would have had a home birth and not the resource of a hospital to help, Would I have died in child birth? If I had not been able to have the blood transfusion my body would have needed 90 days to create enough new blood to replace what was lost. I am so thankful for having a hospital to go to when needed.

Matt was a sweetheart and went home to make me my favorite popcorn with peanut butter and chili powder, yummo! He also made me a virgin pina colada and brought them back to me in the hospital. What a man!

I had spent the whole day literally in bed. It was so needed. I had two visitors but needed the rest. I must have looked bad because everyone kept saying how pale and white I looked. Matt had stayed with me all day. I know it just kills him to sit in a room all day but he was right there. While receiving the blood I was not to move. Matt was my bedpan buddy. You know you are loved when someone takes care of you like that. Through thick and thin right?


Grandma Murphy with Blake

Excited big brother visiting during his snow day. Hospitals are not great places for kids to visit. So the kids enjoyed thier time with Nana this week at home.


Sunday I was a brand new person. I got up and took a shower, washed my hair! Oh that feels so good. Remember I delivered Friday morning and have not been out of bed since.

I walked out to hold Blake and the Doctor and nurses saw me and literally took a double take. They couldn't believe how much better I looked. Almost to the point that they didn't recognize me. Lots of family and friends came by after church and the rest of the afternoon.

I ended up going home late that night. Matt really wanted to watch the football playoffs. His Broncos were in it and won. They beat the Patriots, a pretty big deal. Go Peyton Manning!

It was so nice to be home but I had a hard time leaving this precious boy.



I returned to be with Blake and start nursing. I had been pumping but nothing yet. Blake is still taking oxygen and breathing very rapidly and unsteady. Also had a feeding tube while on the oxygen. I was with Blake all day in the nursery holding him whenever I could. Having him skin to skin is so important both for Blake's health and for my milk to come in. All week was a battle to get my milk in because I had lost so much fluid and blood my body was fighting to regenerate all of what I needed as well as getting a start on trying to produce milk. Blake's health steadily improved with me there holding him and talking to him. He came off the feeding tube by the end of the day.



Tuesday Blake was in the room with me all day! They let me stay at the hospital with Blake and while no one needed the room I could stay right next to the nursery. Another praise is that my milk is starting to come in. They take him back to the nursery two times a day for his shot of antibiotics and I am able to nurse him first and then supplement with a bottle.
Corbin had a snow day today and he and Matt came to see us.

So tired of being in the hospital and went home to have dinner with the family tonight. And of course the kids just wanted to sit with Matt . I was not missed at all. Nana has been with them this week and it is almost like a vacation for them.

Wednesday was such a good day. Blake is so happy and content. He was circumcised  today and that made him grumpy, then he slept for five hours. Called Lydia to come keep me company. We made footprints of Blake in his baby book. Michelle came by and brought a blizzard what a precious friend.

This week a friend from church passed away. Al Rudolph has been fighting cancer and he went home to heaven this week. So many people have been touched by his life and will miss him. I will go to his viewing Thursday.

Thursday Blake is ready to come home, however we are required to stay in the hospital till all of his antibiotics have continued for seven days. We were able to go home after his midnight shot Friday night.

Through the bitter cold I took my precious baby home. With living right next to the hospital Matt and kids were home and Blake and I came home to a quite and peaceful home at last.

After all this that we have been though I am doing great but my answer is I'm tired. It will take a long time for my iron and energy to build back up.

Funny, usually after a birth discharge they recommend that you not pick up anything that weighs more than 10 pounds but in my case nothing more than Blake. :)

God is so good and He takes care of us.
Final thought on the birth next post.

No comments: