Thursday, February 7, 2013

Determined

Ok, I am so determined to finish blogging about 2012! I know we are in February but I am going to finish.

December 15th we had our 11th annual Murphy Christmas party. 

I love thinking of all the creative ways I can make this party fun and unique. I like to design and write my own invitations.



 This year we had a country theme.

 I like to find new ways to decorate in honor of our theme.



We sat 24 for dinner this year.



 There was Christmas plaid everywhere.



Matt's helping me with final preparations in the kitchen.

Last year Michelle and Aaron took the lead with dinner since Aiden was only two weeks old. They planned a pitch in. I liked that idea more than I thought. So this year I posted a menu and everyone chose the item they were to bring.



I like to decorate the whole house. It takes me about three weeks to get everything just where I like.


After dinner we go downstairs to play snoop, hang out and have desserts.

Every year we say the basement will be remodeled before the Christmas party. (our big party for the year). This year we were able to tackle the ceiling and get all the lighting up. This was a huge deal for me, since basements can seem like a cave without lighting.



 While our tradition is to have a real tree for the family Christmas tree, I also like to have a tree on every floor of the house. The basement tree is the largest. It is the tree Matt and his family used growing up.






 Cute marshmallow snowmen Crystal!




I think everyone had a great time! I know I did!




 Gretchen got photos of all the couples together.

During our games Crystal was a little chilly, so she put our snuggie to good use. :)


I was too busy enjoying the night to take many pics during the party. There is a favorite quote of the night I'll share. One of the gifts in our snoop game was a firefighter calendar, which wouldn't you guess it JR got. So the guys had fun cutting and taping all of the "fiery " hunks all over our house. Upon finding a few I said, "There are shirtless fire fighters all over my house!" Apparently this is ubber shocking coming from me and several laughed out loud.

There were a few photos of Matt and Paul that were quite obnoxious and since Matt may run for a political office one day I didn't post those. ha ha

We had such a great time and love all our friends dearly


The next day........

Sunday was Adaline's first debut on the stage.

The Christmas Shop Around the Corner
Starring Adaline in the choir

Actually Adaline was not the star but that is who we came to see. :)



This funny girl did steal some of the show, that's for sure.
 My little sweetie...


The younger kids sang in the choir. Addie was to stand by Eli Guernsey. They behave like such brothers and sisters.
 Addie likes to swish her skirt and move around to her little dance. Lots of people said they liked watching her dance and sing tonight. Addie loves skirts and dresses and didn't want to wear the jeans that they suggested be our costume. So Addie got to wear her black skirt.

While we got there super early for a seat.....so did everyone else.

Matt and the boys stayed home. Corbin had thrown up that morning so they were not able to attend.


Addie watched those around her, danced when the urge hit (whether on que or not) and had a great time on the stage.

They had these tape squares on the stage for the kids to know where to stand. She is really worried about that in this picture.

My little three year old was enthusiastic one minute and bored the next. I am sure the play seemed so long to her, but she hung in there and finished it all.

I felt bad for Eli, Addie whacked him in the head with the celebration ribbon they were using.


Addie with her Aunt Bekah.... the choir director of the play.
Addie was so much fun to watch. She made my family and I laugh at her stage presence. What a precious girl. She did a great job. I loved this part of parenting this season, enjoying Christmas with my daughter singing and practicing all month about Jesus birth.

3 comments:

Jami said...

I just love watching kids in their programs, so much fun.

The Christmas party was great as usual. I'm not lying when I say it's one of my favorite things to do of the year.

Tracey said...

The Christmas party was so much fun! I love your decorations each year. You put so much work into it and we, your people, appreciate it! :)

melanie said...

thanks, my people. :)