Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A trip to the hospital

My little darling was in the hospital last week. Monday afternoon when I came home from working at church I just felt like she wasn't herself. She slept all day and I could tell that she was having a belly ache. That night when I fed her she was pretty hot. So Tuesday morning I took her temp and it was 101.4 I didn't think that it was especially high, but called the doctor's office just to cover my bases. They wanted me to bring her in right away. Because she had only turned six weeks old that day they were very concerned. Dr. Norton was very concerned and told me that although she is on the border line (6weeks) she was still too young to have a fever this high. A fever means that there is virus in her body but with one so little you just don't know what kind. She had no other symptoms that morning, so my gut said lets take her home and watch her for the day. He gave me no instructions just watch for fussiness and her temp. The next morning we came for a follow up and her temp had not gone down. She was fussy and a touch me not. Which I feel like was a symptom of a headache.
We took her to Kosairs to get tested. With babies it could be nothing but it could be Meningitis. We arrived at the ER around 1pm and Addie went through all kinds of tests. They did admit us to a room by 9pm. Wow, I am so thankful Matt could be there with me. It was hard seeing them poke and prod her. Matt went with her to get her spinal tap. All the preliminary tests came back clear but they told us we would have to stay for 48 hours to get the results of the blood and spinal culture.
Her initial blood culture showed bacteria growth-very bad. But they said that they couldn't tell whether it was a contaminate (something had gotten into the culture) or a staff bacteria. Praise the Lord it was a contaminate and her second culture came back fine. We were able to come home Saturday.
The Lord is so good. He was there with Addie and Matt and I. As parents it is so difficult to see your child hurting and not be able to help them . Of course the best help you can offer your child is prayer. God was there comforting Matt and I and truly gave me a peace about her tests. Thank you for all your prayers. Those who were able to come see us in the hospital were a blessing. It is so lonely sitting there all day with your child. I really appreciated all the calls and visits.

My sweet pea
Her little bed looked like a cage.
She was on a heart monitor the whole time.


Her and daddy. Her coos and smiles just melt his heart and mine.




The Lord is my Shepherd, he is there to comfort, heal and guide us.amen

5 comments:

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

i am so glad everything is okay!!

Jami said...

oh my, I had no idea all this was going on. Those pictures are so sad. I'm so thankful everything is okay.

Jill said...

God is so good! I am so happy to hear that she is okay and your testimony of His Goodness is just beautiful.

ginmommy said...

Oh Mel, she looks so pitiful in that bed. I'm sorry I couldn't be there for you. Please know that I was praying. I'm so glad everything is better. God is good.

The Utz Family said...

I am so glad little Addie is doing better! That must have been awful for you guys!