Monday, April 13, 2009

Here Comes Baby A

Monday, April 6th I had my doc appointment to see if everything was going okay with the baby. (you know since I was 6 days over due). Everything looked great and doc said that after our exam I would probably go into labor that night. Yes, indeed. I had cramping all evening and at 12:30am labor woke me. I walked around the house for a little bid trying to countractions and deciding if that is what was really happening. I had contractions every 4 to 7 min. Yes, this truly was labor. I called my mom at 1am to come over. You could tell that she really would rather wait if I wasn't sure, but I said yes, I need you here. She arrived at 2am with Lydia. Lydia was going to stay the night and be here for Corbin when he woke up. At this point I had to really breath through every contraction and my back would really seize up and tighten. They were 2-3min apart and 45-60 seconds long. Labor was coming fast and steady. No time to relax, or pack to leave. I called Amy (my doula) and she talked me through a few contractions and she met us at the hospital. We left for the hospital a little after 3am.
Here is matt's expression when it was time to go.


Here was Corbin's expression when he found out where and why we were gone.
Just kidding.

My water broke in the hospital parking lot. I was 5cm when we arrived. Labor was still fast and steady and painful. By this point I couldn't get the pain in my back to subside, no matter what I did. So, this is what they call back labor. By 7ish they checked me again and I was only 7cm. Addie was unreactive. How could she be so still during all of the laboring going on. I was overwhelmed and exhausted by this point and needed help. After the epidural my body relaxed and let go of all that tension. They let me rest for over an hour and then we were ready to push. I pushed for 45 min and Addie was born. We could not believe the long dark hair! First a red head now this dark hair! I am so happy with my little girl. : ) I'm in love.


1 comment:

Jill said...

Melanie,
I just saw your blog link on my blog and I'm so excited to have a way to find out what's going on in your life. I am so, so happy for you. Congratulations to you, Matt, and Corbin. Welcome, sweet baby Adaline. :-)