Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Death By Walking

So here we go, all pumped to begin a new day of hiking and a new trail. When we had written the writer of the article in Backpackers Magazine, I had asked him all kinds of questions about the terrain and how the trip was going to be. This was the day I wish he had given more details. Anyway, Lanza had described the terrain in three parts; above tree line, tree line and the valley. We were to experience all three today. The entire day up the Barrhorn was above treeline. Which I have decided I like the least. It has that gravel/ rock pit feel like a moonscape.

We knew this was to be one of our 13 mile days, so our longest hiking day. We had hiked 14 miles from 10:30 - 7:30 so we knew that we needed to get an early start today.

We still did not take the 5am breakfast, but we were out on the trail by 8:30




The mountain ranges that we crossed over look like a W. Hold up your left hand with with three fingers. Picture St. Luc our beginning point on the left side of that third finger. We crossed that finger when going over Meid Pass (Mountain peak #1). We came down that finger to the base of that finger to stay at Turtmann Hut (now you're at the base of that middle finger. Today we will travel north up that finger and cross over that middle finger to cross Augstboard Pass, then hiking to the top of that middle finger on the other side of the mountain.




The morning was clear and cool. I had the typical woman start. "Hey, let's stop a minute so I can take off this fleece." "Hey, let's stop a minute I need to get my tissue out and blow my nose." This went on for I guess every reason I had. Don't know why my morning began this way, but after I got all those kinks worked out we hear the cow bells ahead.



Yes, our trail goes right by this herd of about 9 of these black fighting cows. The Belgians told us how they came across them and the farmers called them their fighting cows. We heard the story about them when we got to our hotel that night. Not only were they bigger than the ones we saw the first day but there were male bulls out in this herd. They did not look friendly. But to be fair they were not aggressive, nor did they seem interested in us walking through their hill. I did convince Matt to make a wide birth around these cows. The trail was a bit easy to loose during this stretch. A couple of times I found our blaze up higher on the hillside and we got back on the right track.


Doesn't this make you think of Lord Of The Rings? God's beauty is just so amazing. The landscape He gave us to enjoy and be adventurous through. It is so desolate on this mountain range. One road snakes along the base of the valley and was hardly used the entire day. Matt and I agree you must be a hermit to live in the mountains. The hillside is so steep. I couldn't imagine getting up and down it to leave for work everyday.
I just loved the red foliage here in the mountain. Such pretty colors.



Here you see the Meid Pass behind me. I just look and say "Wow! I hiked over that mountain. life is so much the same. You may look ahead and think I cannot parent four kids, I cannot loose 15 plus pounds, I cannot be a stay at home mom and have meaning to my life or sanity." Our minds cannot be trusted. We need to lean on God to trust our lives with. I think of the Israelites and how Joshua was lead by God to take the land. Impossible things are decided by God not us frail humans.


This moonscape pass was slow going. The wind would bite at my face and my pack pulled at my shoulders. We stopped for "lunch", a power bar and meal shake. Gazing at the mountain to guess where our trail would take us over the mountain, and we see two black dots at the top picking their way down in a zig zag pattern. Never would I have guessed the trail would have taken us up the bulging rock face in front of us. We were just as surprised by the hikers as we were the direction of the trail. We had not see anyone since we began our hike today. Again this area was very desolate.

Conquering the top, it felt like the wind would blow us off the top of the mountain. Many times along the ascent I had to concentrate on each step. The rise was so steep and loose gravel was easy to slide on. I am glad we were going up this piece of the trail. I felt like it would have just slid below us had we needed to come down it. I had a hard time trusting my steps. I could feel the fear of falling creep up on my like a dark fog, but I was not going to have it. Just watched how Matt stepped and steadily plodded up the trail to the top. Conquering is the way you feel after you make it up a trail like this. Not to mention the four hours it took to reach this height.Success



I didn't take any pictures of the back side of the mountain pass. It was so bright and windy. Off to the prettiest part of our trip. And we thought more than halfway through our day.

The rocky trail and tall grasses made for the most intense hiking of our entire trip. The descent down the pass was about 2.5 miles of 45-60 degree trails. My knees felt the pounding pressure. I did not tell Matt about my knees hurting yesterday. I did not want him to worry or think I couldn't do the hike, but this was one of my fears for this trip. My knees have issues with the hinging muscle in my knee. The pressure of my pack and the incline and not getting any relief of a flat trail killed our hiking time. Several times I had to stop, walk backwards and fight off the tears. It was horrible. Matt says every 10 foot of decent is one story on a building. This point of the trail we descended 4,000 feet. So 400 stories. The PNC Building in Louisville is 26 stories.

Relief.... We have hit the tree line. I can move at a normal pace now. My knees feel the release. That kink in our time is pushing us at a faster pace now and Matt almost missed the horned sheep that lept up the rock. He however, was not going to let us ignore his presence. He had two female sheep with him and didn't want us to go near them. He reared up on the rock and stared us down while gruffing a mean snort at us. We backed up the trail a bit for this was not good.


Matt is so brave. I would have sat there and waited it out. He said we are going. I held onto his pack and was on the far side of the ram and looking down at the trail and walking very quickly.


As long as my knee didn't hinge like taking a step I was able to hike. We had a new found energy now at the prospect of us ending our very long day. We were even giddy at the beautiful sites and reaching the bus for our next point. However, we kept hiking and hiking and saw no bus stop or Moosalp.




The views were gorgeous and we were drinking in every moment. Just like day one, I kept saying to myself it has to be around the next alcove.







We had now hiked over 13 miles and were a bit nervous that we were not near our destination. Unlike day one, I had no landmark to see that we may be getting close like I did with the glacier.
We hear cow bells ahead like earlier and I become nervous as to what we will find. This part of the mountain was pretty steep and we were traveling on this narrow dirt road. We passed dirt bike paths and now see the fighting bulls again. Later we learn that this area is very famous for them and Moosalp is a point where you can see them real close. We saw them close alright. We passed a hillside of them they were below the trail. The only "fence" was that thin ribbon. Not even an electric fence. Ahead on the trail I could hear bells and saw the "fence" was down up on the left side of the trail. Sure enough in the road were about seven cows. I stop. One (clearly the leader) is in the middle of the road staring at us. We are discussing what to do. More like Matt is telling me we are walking through them and I in my panicked voice was saying no and I can't. Then the cow starts coming toward us. Yikes! I jump off the path below the fence to my right. I am not going near those cows. Matt says there are no aggressive cows. It will be fine Melanie. With nerves strained on his face he slowly walks toward them and reaches out his hand to touch the leader. Something spooks the cows and they take off running in the direction we need to go. Matt why couldn't you have gone around like me. Then they would have been passed us. We both walk below them and they run back the other way. Shew... drama, drama, drama.



We come near a farm. See a turn around spot and think this is it! We are here, this is where the bus comes. Nope. A man comes out of his farm and says hello, we ask about the bus. No, we are not in Moosalp yet. It's another 40 min hike down the way. It is already 6:10p We are never going to make it. He whips out his cell phone and calls the bus. ( I know! I expected a hand crank phone attached to the pole but  he had a cell phone in this desolate place) He tells us he is a cowboy. :) Matt was so stressed about the time of day and not catching the bus. Later we wished we had taken a picture with this Swiss cowboy. The last bus left by 6.

Exhausted by our now 15 mile day, my knee throbbing, Matt was upset.

Before we left on our trip Matt told me we were to have no Cancun moments in Switzerland. You see when we were in Mexico we had a scenario where we had no cash and needed to get back on the ferry to the main land. It's a good story but the jest of it is that Matt freaks out when he doesn't know the plan and I am carefree as a bird knowing that somehow it will all work out.

This was looking like another Cancun moment. After a few minutes of silence. I said, " You know it will all work out. We will find a ride or just stay in Moosalp. It will be fine. " His shoulders lifted a little and he agreed that we will be fine. He was very frustrated that the magazine article and the author did not give better instructions. How did they expect a hiker to make what turned out to be a 17 mile hike in the time frame by telling us it was a 13 mile hike with no tips of how fast to hike or what time to leave out in the morning. No details. We thought by leaving by 8:30 we would have plenty of time. Yes, we were very slow especially the descent off the pass, but not getting there till 7 shesh.







The restaurant and small town of Moosalp was like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. We were so happy to be here. What a beautiful, long, painful and fantastic day.

Matt found us a father and son who were here at the restaurant and lived at Berchin (our destination and hotel for the night). They offered to give us a free ride down the mountain to our hotel. God's provision was so evident on our trip. He continues to provide for us at every turn.



2 comments:

Jaime Mac said...

Wow this was an exciting day seeing all the animals! I'm like you - I would've been freaking OUT about that Ram thingie! He could do some serious damage w/ those horns!
Still enjoying reading about all your adventures. How do you remember all the details? Did you journal them every night?

melanie said...

I did journal at the beginning of our trip, but this day and the days after I did not. I was just too wiped at the end of the day to write anything.
I am still having trouble putting your blog on my side bar as blogs I read. It keeps saying it does not recognize the url wierd.